API for XML Web Services
Implementation Version: 2.2
|JAX-WS RI 2.2||Users Guide||Tools||JAX-WS RI Extensions||Samples||JAX-WS Community|
- 1. Overview
2. Features in this release
- Reference Implementation (RI) of JAX-WS 2.2 API. Full JAX-WS 2.2 compliance
- Development Tools
- Web Services Addressing 1.0 - Core
- Web Services Addressing 1.0 - SOAP Binding
- Web Services Addressing 1.0 - Metadata
- Web Services Addressing 1.0 - WSDL Binding (RI specific support)
- WS-Addressing - Member Submission
- SOAP 1.1 and 1.2
- REST and XML/HTTP
- WS-I Basic Profile 1.1
- WS-I Simple SOAP Binding Profile 1.0
- WS-I Attachment Profile 1.0
- Extensions (May not be final unless says so)
- Web Services Interoperable Technologies (
enables .NET 3.x interoperability
- WS-Security/WS-Security Policy
- WS-Trust/WS-Secure Conversation
- WS-AT/WS-Tx (Supported only on Glassfish v2)
- Spring support
- Pluggable Transport
- FastInfoset (bundled with JAX-WS 2.2 RI)
- JBI Service Engine and Binding Component(part of Glassfish v2)
- HTTP Binding Component, used by Open JBI component
- Web Services Interoperable Technologies ( WSIT) - enables .NET 3.x interoperability
- Data binding - JAXB 2.2 RI
- Server Side Asynchrony - AsyncProvider
- Stateful Web Services
- Support for custom WebServiceFeature
- These APIs can be used b y a J2EE application server to integrate JAX-WS RI 2.2 for hosting JAX-WS services
- Endpoint Deployment
- Tightly integrated with Glassfish
- Supports EJB and Web endpoints
- 109 based deployment support for better portability
- JAX-WS RI specific deployment descriptor support
- Sun One Application Server 9.0 ur1
- Light weight HTTP server
- On JDK 1.5 through http.jar distributed with the JAX-WS 2.2 FCS RI bundle
- Bundled with JDK 6
- Any other container that supports Servlet 2.4, such as Tomcat, Jetty, Geronimo, JBoss, Resin, ... You name it!
- Glassfish v2
This release brings in the highly pluggable framework through abstractions such as Tube and Message. Refer to the latest architecture document . This architecture document is a glorified javadoc which includes all the JAX-WS RI specific APIs. JAX-WS RI 2.2 has many bug fixes made for interoperability with .NET 3.0. This is made mostly possible due to WSIT, which uses JAX-WS plugabble architecture to plug in support for WS-Metadata, WS-Policy, WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Transaction, WS-SecureConversation and WS-Security.
If you wish to use JAX-WS RI 2.2 in a Java EE container in a Java EE portable manner you need to use the standard Java EE 6 deployment descriptor; please refer to the Java EE 6 or Glassfish documentation/samples. The majority of the documentation included with JAX-WS is valid with Java EE 6 as well.
3. Online Documentation
The documentation for JAX-WS RI 2.2 as well as the sample applications will be periodically updated in the JAX-WS project.
The architecture document describing the latest JAX-WS RI 2.2 can be found here .
Please go to http://jax-ws.dev.java.net for the latest documentation and samples.
4. Required Software
Requires JDK 5.0 Update 2 or later
Requires Ant 1.6.2 or later
Tested to work with Glassfish V2.1 and Apache Tomcat 5.5.x
5. Installation Instructions
The following applies to the JAX-WS standalone bundles.
- Extract JAX-WS RI 2.2 bundle
- To install on Glassfish v2
- If you want to use the JAX-WS RI 2.2 overriding the one with Glassfish v2, Download Metro 2.x bundle from https://metro.dev.java.net and follow the instructions in that bundle
- To install on Tomcat
- Set CATALINA_HOME to your Tomcat installation.
- Run 'ant install', This essentially copies lib/*.jar from the root of JAX-WS RI extracted bundle to CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib
- If you are running on top of JDK6, run 'ant install-api' or use ant -help for detailed information.
6. Running on top of JDK 6
JDK 6u4 includes JAX-WS 2.1 and JAXB 2.1 API and RI. JAX-WS RI 2.2 includes RI of JAX-WS/JAXB 2.2. In order to run JAX-WS RI 2.2 you would need to specify ONLY jaxws-api.jar, and jaxb-api.jar jars using the Java Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism
7. Jar dependency
|Runtime Jars||FastInfoset.jar, activation.jar, http.jar, jaxb-api.jar, jaxb-impl.jar, jaxws-api.jar, jaxws-rt.jar, jsr173_api.jar, jsr181-api.jar, jsr250-api.jar, mimepull.jar, resolver.jar, saaj-api.jar, saaj-impl.jar, woodstox.jar, stax-ex.jar, streambuffer.jar, policy.jar, gmbal-api-only.jar, management-api.jar|
|Tooltime Jars||All the runtime jars + jaxb-xjc.jar, jaxws-tools.jar|
8. Current Limitations
java.util.Collectionclasses cannot be used with rpc/literal or document/literal BARE style due to a limitation in JAXB. However, they do work in the default document/literal WRAPPED style.
9. Bugs Fixed in this release
10. Known Bugs/Issues
- Although JAX-WS customizations are portable across implementations, the names of WSDL and schema files generated are not specified. Therefore each vendor may and most likely will generate different names. Therefore, when switching between implementations of JAX-WS, it may be necessary to modify your customization files to reflect different WSDL and schema file names.
- This holds true for different releases of the JAX-WS RI. The JAX-WS RI may in each release change these file names to resolve bugs. If and when this does occur, a developer would need to change the filenames in their customization files to match the new file names.
- A bug in Apt ant task makes it not work by default. Workaround is to use fork="true" option in the apt task.
11. For More Information
Go to http://jax-ws.dev.java.net.